A Brief History of the Rose Chapel and
Southside Preservation Hall
Once the spiritual home of many turn-of-the-century prominent Fort Worth families, the former Central Methodist Church, was built at 1519 Lipscomb St. in 1911.
Since the congregation relocated in 1969, the building faced demolition several times. Luckily, a civic group, The Panther Boys Club, bought the building in 1972 and converted the church facilities into a gymnasium, boxing ring and teen dance area. The chapel was not used. Then, in 1996, a dedicated group of preservationist saved the property from impending demolition by forming the Southside Preservation Association. A non-profit, mainly volunteer entity, the Association continues to restore the facility buildings and beautify it’s grounds, receiving numerous community awards for their efforts.
Named for the Flower of Love, the lovely, restored Rose Chapel maintains a fully booked schedule. The adjoining rooms in the Southside Preservation Hall host a wide range of events-from corporate parties and wedding receptions to dances, classes and performances reflecting the diversity of the metroplex.
Proceeds from these events go toward the ongoing restoration and maintenance to preserve the history of this property.